Palo Verde Historical Museum Presents: A look back at Rannels' history

The town got off to a good start with a Post Office, hotel, school, brick manufacturing company, two brick stores and a number of dwellings. (Archived file photo/Palo Verde Historical Society & Museum)

(Note: The ongoing Palo Verde Historical Museum & Society contributions are from a collection of “History of the Communities of the Palo Verde Valley” submissions dated and published November 2001.)

In 1908, Samuel D. and John W. Rannels acquired 180 acres of land and formed the Rannels Land Company.

They surveyed a townsite and a Post Office was opened in 1909.

The town got off to a good start with a Post Office, hotel, school, brick manufacturing company, two brick stores and a number of dwellings.

Rannels was on the Bradshaw trail and was the last stage stop on the trail. It was 5.3 miles north of Palo Verde on Rannels Boulevard. Rannels, being a great promoter, thought that the railroad from Rice to Blythe would eventually be extended to Imperial Valley and pass through Rannels.

The railroad reached Blythe in 1916 and ended in Ripley in 1920 and never proceeded any further.

Lacking adequate transportation, the brick manufacturing company moved to Blythe and soon the other businesses followed.

The Post Office closed in 1933 and the few remaining buildings were torn down. Today, the site is farmland.

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you